Sunday 24 April 2011

Shortbread

This is a recipe I've tried and tested only today. My mum made great shortbread but the last few years have found me trying and failing to make shortbread that the Scottish bloke I live with will approve of - today I achieved it - Happy Days! Happy Duncan :-)

Soften 240g of unsalted butter, add 120g caster sugar and mix with wooden spoon, just to blend together, don't work too much. Add 240g plain flour and 120g semolina, sifted, mix until combined.

Roll out to 23cm round 12mm thick, crimp edges, mark into 8 pieces (thats what the recipe said - I did 12) and prick all over with fork to prevent rising.

Place on Baking paper and chill in fridge for 20mins.

Heat oven and baking tray to 140 C, transfer shortbread on baking paper to heated baking tray and bake for 55mins - don't let it brown!

Remove from oven, slide palette knife under shortbread, leave to cool completely and cut into segments.

Perfect shortbread to eat with tea, strawberries and cream, whatever - just enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment